Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Virgin Blogger

The funny thing about writing is it's best done when driving in the car (but I've noticed that can be extremely dangerous to other drivers). I find as I drive to and from work, I think about all the things I would relate if I had a blog page. During those times of the day I feel I have so much to say, words crowding each other like the cars on the Fairfax County Parkway, bumper to bumper, end to end, thoughts against thoughts. The ideas run on and on resembling those sentences your 6th grade teacher abhored. Yet, when faced with the blank page the mind becomes vacant, empties of all verbal creativity and the vastness of the white blank screen is blinding.

... minutes pass ....

I could speak of work, but as I'm there now surrounded by dusty silk flowers and people who are incapable of sincere smiles or clever reparte, I would just as soon shove salt into this slit I have on my lip from licking these stupid envelopes...so work is tabu...for now.

... more minutes pass ... I answer the phone ... twice ...

Then there's family, the extended kind consisting of siblings. We, my siblings and I, are on the outs now, inheritance and all the selfishness that intails, the finger pointing and recriminations, etc. I probably need to go see a psychiatrist or something before I begin complaining about my family. I think maybe I'll touch on that later when my skin has thickened a bit.

... I watch a cobweb float above the credenza ...

What about children...I have two...22 and 17...students....at home...no, I don't think I'll travel down that road at the moment either.

... heavy sigh ...

So, instead, I rest my head in my palm and stare at the keyboard; then at the silk dogwood in the corner; then at the conference room table that has some empty soda cans that I will eventually have to throw into the trash, or maybe not; then back at the keyboard hoping my fingers have miraculously found something clever and witty to say... and I wait...

Damn, Harley has returned from his meeting so I suppose I should APPEAR to be busy...it's going to take all the acting skills I possess. If it's entertaining enough maybe I'll win a Golden Globe!

4 comments:

Nikki Nelson-Hicks said...

FIRST POST!
heheheheh, I'm your first poster....

I was entertained just by watching you be bored. I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

It's tough writing about family & friends because you never know if they are going to be reading. And that can get sticky.

Keep poking around. You'll find the vein.

Anonymous said...

oh yey and I'm your second!! You are so not alone - leading my boring life I decided to get a dog and, inspired by a friends deeply moving health blog (she had leukemia), decided to write a dog blog. Think I wrote in it twice and then suffering the equivalent of post baby (read puppy) blues I could never again face telling the world how awful it was!! H

Hope yours goes better darling girl.

Was at a wedding at the weekend, stayed in the hotel where it was and our room name? Your first name!!

Good luck with it. Pen,xxx

Richard said...

It is always easier to blog or do anything in your head, than it is is to do it in practice.

I have done all manner of wonderful things in my head while driving, walking, or working.

Unknown said...

Yes, in my head is where I solve all the problems of the universe. I have yet to figure out how to accomplish it outside of my head. Therein lies the rub!