Monday, January 29, 2007

Wasted Time

And so the week begins. I arrived to work about 10 minutes late, but it was no problem as I was the second drone to walk in the door and was seated at my desk, fingers on the keyboard and looking extremely efficient by the time the more important drones arrived. It took me all of 5 minutes to sort and read mail that arrived on Saturday, it took less than two minutes to read my email, it may have taken 10 more minutes to process check requests that were left on my desk. By that time it wasn't even 9:00 am. So I made another pot of coffee, went to the bathroom and returned to the desk waiting for life to begin. It is now 1:30 and I have done nothing more than search the Internet for inns and bed and breakfasts for sale, put together a half dozen online jigsaw puzzles, and read cleverly worded details about other's lives that they so creatively published on their blogs. And I feel as though I've been here for days.

Some of the blogs were actually quite refreshing. One woman, when asked her occupation, replied, "Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations". I love it. She's a full-time mother. When questioned further as to the intricate job details, she then replied "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money." Oh my GOD, don't you love this woman???? I wish I had been clever enough to give a title like that when asked. I always fell back on domestic goddess, but this is SOOOO much better. Kudos to you BODEGALEE. You make me proud to have once been a full-time mom! You can read her blogs at the following: http://bodegalee-bodegalee.blogspot.com/

Another blog was also quite humorous. One gentleman couldn't understand our behavior toward animals, in specific, the duck that was shot, assumed dead and frozen, only to actually be alive. Apparently, said duck also was assumed dead on the vets table during the operation to remove shot from neck, wing and whatever, only to be alive AGAIN. Talk about miracles. Of course, my thoughts were: first-I thought CATS had nine lives then second-is the second coming supposed to be in human form? The writer did make a valid point. If said duck was first shot and thrown into the freezer to later become dinner, when the fowl was found alive, why didn't they just kill it and eat it like they were going to do in the first place? I think it must've resembled a piata or something holy!

Finally, I happened across this wonderful reenactment of Robbie Burns night (January 25th) by an American on sabbatical in the UK. http://ewaldsinengland.blogspot.com/ As I read it I smiled deeply and remembered my own experiences on Burns nights of years ago. I happened to love the haggis, hate the scotch, enjoy the bagpipes and barely understand the poetry spoken in the deep brogue of Scotland. I was at the Intercontinental hotel (in my mind) in Muscat, Oman, reliving the revelry when THEY walked by and knocked me right out of my daydream and brought me back here. THANKS A LOT.

Yes, they were headed to lunch again, sans moi, of course as I have never been approached and given an invitation. I should be quite satisfied with their inquiring as to whether I would like them to "BRING" me something. (Yeah, a 45 semi-automatic so I can blow you bitches away!) but I always say, "no thank you" because I'm nice (yes Nikki....you can gag now!). They probably know, at this point, that if they did deign to invite me I would just look at them as if they'd suddenly contracted leprosy and say "No thank you". Or maybe I would have enough khutspa to say, "don't you think it's a little late to try to be friendly NOW!?"

Of course, on the way out Trishie baby handed me a pile of papers that need filing and it will take me all of three minutes to accomplish, but at least I'll be busy for three minutes. Then it will be back here, surfing the net, reading the blogs, and contemplating the dust bunnies under the conference table. YEEHAW!

3 comments:

Michelle Marie said...

Caroline, I've only just begun to peruse your blog, but it troubles me that such a beautiful spirit as yourself is locked into such a horrible workplace. Don't let them bring you down. I realize I haven't seen you face-to-face in, oh, blah-years (let's not age ourselves, eh?!)...but since high school, but you have always remained in my heart and thoughts. You are a woman who makes an impression. If those with static, small minds can't recognize your brilliance, let it slide like water off that little frozen-alive duck's back. This job is their future, while this job will one day be your past, and may even be fodder for a chapter in a book you write one day. You are better than this job and you will move on, honey. You have always been a star (like any self-respecting Leo! Have I told you the Leo credo? "I cannot accept you as an equal till you first acknowledge my superiority!) So I'll say it again: you're a star. Don't let them steal your light. This I know like I know like I know. And so my first post on your blog ends...

Unknown said...

I know Michelle. I don't really take it to heart but it's no fun whilst sitting here. I shant be here long as I can hear that B&B calling me, calling me....wonder if Warren Buffet will give us that loan then I can kiss these pipples goodbye. Ciao Bella and thanks for the post!

Nikki Nelson-Hicks said...

I shouldn't laugh because (except for the lunch thing) that sounds like my entire day!
I have an okay relationship with my co-workers. I know they are super-duper important and I'm not. Okay. Just be nice to me or you'll never get another phone message again, sweetheart.

BTW, I think you'd make an excellent B&B host! OMG. You'd be brilliant. Better than me. I'd be, "What the hell are all these people doing in my house? Get the hell out, ya moochers!"