Tuesday, February 27, 2007

2007 Oscars


Unfortunately I missed them. Yes, I can't believe it either as the Oscars are the ONLY award show that I watch, but I missed them. I completely forgot about them. Maybe it was the snow. Maybe it was exhaustion from spending two days looking at property. Maybe it was the way in which the planets and stars were aligned. I don't know...but I missed them and I'm angry with myself as I was so looking forward to Ellen DeGeneres as the hostess. So, now I get to watch it through her television show, not quite the same thing but at least I'll feel as though I did partake albeit vicariously and rather late.

I will say that Post-Oscar comments tend to push my buttons. I wonder at the verbal and somewhat abusive criticism that fashionistas dole out to those who took the time to dress and parade for their adoring masses. Sometimes I feel these opinions, especially the snipes of Kat Giantis, leave much to be desired and, for the most part, should be ignored.

Take what she said in regards to Jennifer Hudson, for example. "Did the dishy "Dreamgirls" star -- and current Vogue cover girl -- become so overwhelmed by the oodles of haute couture she was showered with that she panicked and blindly grabbed at the first objects that caught her eye, which unfortunately were her pet snake and a can of silver spray paint?" Personally, I thought she looked fabulous. The jacket was appropriate for the occasion with the metallic collar framing her beautiful face. The mocha gown was understated and tasteful, and complimented both her complexion and her full figure without making her look like a pillow tied in the middle. So what was the big deal people? Is it the pockets? Is it the shrug itself? Or is it the inability to compliment a new and rising starlet on her performance as well as her seemingly genuine innocence, taste and grace. Shame on you, Kat Giantis, for your ugly and insignificant barbs.

And what about this little snippet of rudeness? "Grin and Bear It: Anne Hathaway may be smiling big on the outside, but we're guessing there's quite a bit of turmoil roiling on the inside. Let's listen in, shall we? "It was so great of Valentino to let me wear this amazing antique lace tablecloth that hoists up my girls as it sucks in my hips. I totally look like my 'Devil Wears Prada' character. You know, after she stopped eating and figured out how to look fabulous. Now, if I can just keep flashing my preternaturally pearly whites for the camera and keep these arms akimbo. This is my moment. Smile away. Dazzle 'em. Holy frijoles! Would you look at the size of that moth over there? I have bras smaller than that thing. Wait, it's not heading this way, is it? All right, stay calm. Everything is fine. Really. Just because it's landed in my cleavage is no reason to panic. Come on, Annie, stay cool. Just keep smiling. Whatever happens, damn it, keep smiling. We'll be fine if we just keep smiling." Not only does she 'dis this exquisite Valentino creation, but she makes snide remarks about this young lady's beautiful smile as well. Did Kat just wake up in a bad humor or is she such a miserable person that she has to take stabs at people in order to feel better about herself. I tell you, it makes me wonder what she was wearing! I also find it interesting that there is not a photograph out there to be found of her but there are a lot of dirty little comments posing as critiques BY her.

Even those actors and actresses who don't fall into the "glamour" category, who appear far from "normal" wardrobe wise and who show up to these things dressed in their own colorful manner, why insult them? A perfect example of this is Sally Kirkland. What can possibly be accomplished by throwing barbs at her for her unconventional taste in clothing? Why not just enjoy her eccentricities and smile at her brashness to wear such outlandish threads. It is Hollywood after all! On a personal level, I think Ms. Kirkland must be a real hoot, and her clothes just accent her ability to throw caution to the wind and be a fly in the face of convention.

As for Jennifer Lopez, can someone please explain to me what is wrong with this outfit? Is it because of the Grecian lines? Is there something written somewhere that says this choice of formal wear is a fashion faux pas? Does she really look bad??? And is there any way my visually fashionable good day could equal this bad one, please? Jennifer, I hope you don't pay attention to any of the negative comments paid to you by these so-called fashion experts. You looked stunning!

As I continue to read the reviews, I am somewhat puzzled by the biting remarks made toward these Hollywood Highlighters and their choice of haute couture. I suppose my confusion is the insults being laid at the feet of those wearing the garments instead of placing the blame on the designers for putting their products on these individuals. The actress doesn't always decide what she is going to be wearing. Instead, much of the time, the decision is based solely on the fashion house that has chosen the canvas for the evening. So instead of castigating Ms. Hathaway for the large black moth that took a nosedive on her bodice, shouldn't the criticism be aimed at the Valentino designer who squashed the bug to begin with? I supposed the reason is that the critic is a "film critic" and not a "fashion critic".

For me, well, I am trying to enjoy all the photographs that were taken of the event. And, personally, I think they all look wonderful, from Anne Hatheway's molested moth to Meryl Streep in Prada's "hippy dippy duds". By the way, Kat, that was not a southwestern piece of art she had draped around her neck, but rather a decidedly oriental creation (which accented the design perfectly) probably originating in Pakistan or India. If you are going to insult creativity, at least get the origins right! As for all of you who put on such a visually stimulating show for us everyday, common folk, in those unforgettable words of Billy Crystal, "you look maw-velous!"

The credit for the photographs above are as follows: photographs of JLo and Anne were products of Steve Granitz and that of Jennifer was taken by John Shearer.

No comments: