Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Starting down that New Path

Well I did it. On Thursday, after an extremely tedious week and after much evaluation of the situation in which I found myself, I turned in my two week notice about an hour before leaving for the day. I gave excuses such as the desire to get married, working on the purchase of the inn, and needing to spend more time with my children, as I did not want to burn any bridges on my way out and I truly needed to stay that last two weeks for financial reasons. On Friday, after my arrival in the morning, I was called into the office of Megan who said that the company was willing to give me two weeks free vacation and I could leave then, directly, hasta la vista baby. The decision on their part did not really surprise me but since I told them I was now engaged and going to get married I expected some "congratulations" or "good luck", or something along those lines. But no. Instead, everyone (Trish, Dan & Harley) said not a word, about anything, they never spoke to me. Dan shook my hand as I left and wished me luck, but the comment never reached his eyes, which were cold and splintery. Trish tried to act bubbly, but that fake goodness does not fit in with her usually frigid personality. Harley stepped out of the office so I didn't need to say anything to him. So, as Momma used to say, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Scared? A tad. Relieved? Starting to feel it. Excited? Maybe a bit. But I will tell you one thing I am feeling is relaxation. It's been awhile since I was a "housewife", the job I loved best in the world next to motherhood. For the first time in four years all my laundry is washed, folded, and put away, my house is tidy, my refrigerator is clean, my furniture is dusted, and the only job glaring at me at the moment is the basket of ironing that I have in the corner. I can see it from my desk but I will tackle that later today as I watch the DVD Collection of Pinky and the Brain. I feel as though I am on a road to recuperation, something I didn't know I needed.

I sigh and lean back in my chair and remember that I now have time to do research regarding menus and food costs for the Inn. I did some research at work, but when it was discovered that I was concentrating on something other than my office, I was given busy work to keep me out of trouble, per se. And I truly didn't have the time or the energy to even think about doing it once I got home at night. I was too miserable and needed a glass of wine and a warm, comfy chair so I could lick my emotional wounds and prepare for the next day's foray into hell. But now, my mind is churning with thoughts and ideas that I want to explore. And the internet is a mouse click away, beckoning me to plumb the depths of my interests. So, I am off to do just that, as I sit in my clean house, wearing sweats and no make-up, with a cup of Illy coffee in my mug and the lovely new fallen snow glistening in the sunlight of the day. I am celebrating my new found freedom. Life is grand!

5 comments:

Tony Rugare said...

The best of luck to you

vbspurs said...

May you have every success in your life, from hereoin.

Hey, you have what it takes, right? Right! Good luck. :)

Cheers,
Victoria

Nikki Nelson-Hicks said...

I am so happy for you! And so envious. What a path you have ahead. I didn't know you had a new man...you sly dog you.

You will make a great Inn owner. Let me know when you get up and running and I'll be there. And if you get a haunted one...ooooh, let me know and I'll bring a whole dang group!

Faye Ewald said...

Congradulations and best of wishes on your engagement. You also answer the Guess What This Means quiz with a perfect score. However, my nieces and nephews are upset that you answered the quiz with all the correct answers. I just told them that next time I put up a quiz, to not take so long to post their answers.

Unknown said...

Next time I'll answer via email (-: