Monday, April 9, 2007

Throw it Together Dinners are the Best!

I wish I had taken a picture of it...Paella meets, oh I don't know what. But the dinner was fabulous and everyone in the house raved. A definite "do over" by all votes so I thought I would share it with you.

I thawed 8 skinned chicken thighs and thought...what can I do? Having spent many summers in Spain and truly craving some of that atmosphere right now I went digging through the drawers of the frig. Low and behold, I found a half sleeve of Chorizo, a lovely, spicy, dried sausage that I like to nibble on when the mood calls for a little heat. So I took what was left and cut it into large slices. I roughly chopped 2 small onions and about 10 cloves of garlic. I then measured out 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 cup of short grain (risotto) rice.

Large skillet, a bit of olive oil, medium high heat. First I cooked the chorizo and chicken (4 minutes per side) then removed it to a plate. In the leftover oil (which was now a lovely red from the sausage) I cooked the onion until translucent, added the garlic and cooked another minute. I added the rice and stirred into the oil until all shiney, added the 2 cups of stock, returned meat to the pan, covered it and continued to simmer for another 20 minutes.

In the meantime, I took a red capsium (bell pepper) and roasted it over the gas flame on the stove until completely black. I put it in a paper bag and sweat the skin off, pulled the char from it, stemmed and seeded it and cut it into large pieces. About 5 minutes before the rice was finished, I added about a 1/2 cup frozen peas and the roasted red pepper.

And oh my God it was delicious. Chicken Paella without realizing I was making Paella. Makes me want to have dinner all over again.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Sounds delicious, I am glad to see others are not afraid to use garlic in their cooking.

Jada's Gigi said...

popped over form kaymacs blog...she recommended your hummy pics..:) those are unbelievable!
Your diner sounds awesome too..you must be a great cook...I could never just whip up something so yummy...:)