Sunday, May 3, 2009

Watercolor



I felt as though my creative juices were turning to sand. I was still enjoying writing, but there were other things I wanted to do with my hands besides peck at a keyboard. I don't have a piano so I can't play; my guitar needs new string; I do not own a sewing machine. Where else to go? Then I discovered an old bag full of everything I need to have in order to learn watercolor.
I read and looked at pictures and did internet searches before I braved paint to paper. I practices brush strokes, mixing colors, drawing on watercolor paper, and then I decided I would actually paint something. I love Georgia O'Keefe and her perspective, flora at close range. So I decided to try my hand in it and the above is my first attempt. Copied from a card, I think I did okay with these tulips, especially since I'd never touched watercolor before last week. I will say my daughter, the artist, was impressed (so I gave it to her for her birthday). She placed a request for anothe rpaining which you see the progress of below.



The basics are completed above and I've begun doing details. This painting almost killed me and I couldn't see half of what I was doing (the light is not condusive to this kind of project), but I kept at it and my daughter was full of praise as I made my way across the canvas.


And here is the completed project. Two paintings down in a week and I am already moving on to my next canvas. I'm doing a portrait of my grandson. Flowers at a close range are one thing, people are something else entirely. I hope I still like to paint by the time I'm finished with him.

2 comments:

Erin O'Brien said...

It's wonderful Caroline!

Tony Rugare said...

Are you sure that you're a beginner? I've had the urge but never the ambition to try my hand at painting. Keep it up!