Monday, February 9, 2009

Higher Education


I needed a college/unversity that would allow me to take only online courses as working at the Bed & Breakfast didn't give me a set schedule and I really wasn't sure where I would be in 6 weeks let alone one year. I was hoping a college such as Mary Baldwin or James Madison would have fallen into this category, but alas, this was not in the cards. So, after much research I chose an online university with the hopes of getting through this education process rather quickly and with as little pain (financially and mentally) as possible but with a degree in an accredited school. So far so good, but I am now questioning my choice.


I am taking a Creative Writing course, not English 101 but something that should be taken after one understands sentence structure and grammer. Yet, I have three, maybe four, students in my class who do not seem to have a grasp of the English language let alone comprehending basic writing and vocabulary skills. And now I am left to wonder what was the point of entrance and placement exams if anyone who can barely read English can take these courses. Worse still, will having a degree from DeVry actually be beneficial? Guess I need to graduate to find out!

1 comment:

Tony Rugare said...

My grandaughter attended DeVry and was very satisfied. My son teaches at a university and has had some horror stories about students and their command of the English language.