Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day's Symbol of Love and Romance


My daughter and I were discussing Valentine traditions yesterday when a dozen roses was brought into the conversation. Neither of us quite understand cut flowers as being a symbol of lasting love. Yes, they are beautiful and, yes they smell devine (sometimes), but they don't last long. I suggested they were a symbol of romance, which can be fleeting, and not love, which can be lasting. She suggested that people should can the cut flowers and purchase plants that when nurtured, like love, will grow. I told her I would make that suggestion. So, all of you people out there, we are reinventing Valentine traditions which from hence forth will include the giving of live plants (to symbolize lasting love) and cut flowers (to symbolize a quick toss in the hay). You will know what your sweetheart wants by the gift you receive. Please pass it on!

2 comments:

Tony Rugare said...

Did just that.

Nikki Nelson-Hicks said...

Hmmmm, I'm sitting here looking at a dozen dying roses Brian gave me yesterday. Eh, metaphors are lost on him. The Marines sucked all that out.