Friday, March 8, 2013



I was sure it was supposed to snow yesterday and was quite relieved when it chose to forgo that plan.  The temperature was too warm, the clouds were too high, and only a few winter flurries passed by my window as I sat reading.  Much to my dismay, I awakened to a snow covered yard and trees lowering their branches under the weight of the white wetness that covered their limbs.  And it has not stopped all day long, though the temperature is still warmer than freezing so the sidewalks and roads are wet rather than icy.  I checked the weather forecast for tomorrow and it's supposed to be in the upper 40's.  Hopefully, this final bid to winter will not last.  It does make me wonder, though, if we will have snow for Easter.

I remember one year when I was a child, living in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.  A nor'easter blew through and left about a foot or more of snow on the ground on Easter Sunday.  I was so disappointed because I couldn't wear my new Easter dress and shoes and we couldn't go for an egg hunt outside.  My relatives were supposed to come but no one believed they would even attempt it in such inclement weather.  Imagine all of our surprise when we saw Uncle George and Aunt Elma making their way through the drift at the top of the drive, laundry baskets in hand.  I guess there washer was broken and clean clothes demanded that they make the trip, snow or no snow.

Anyway, I sit here and watch the snow fall outside the window.  I have some chicken soup simmering on the stove and a little, fat, robin is hopping around on the sidewalk.  It's the first one I have seen this year.  I can't help but imagine it's thinking, "what the hell?  I just flew all this way for this?  What's going on here?"  Well Robin, you have got to love spring!

No comments: