Tuesday, March 12, 2013

 
It's a dark and gloomy day here in Central New Jersey.  What better time to immerse oneself into music of one kind or another.  I've been perusing my favorite artists on Youtube while wishing MTV still played videos.  Or better yet, VH1 which focused on soft rock and golden oldies.  Now all you can find on these channels is "reality TV" which is so far from reality it should be called "imagination TV" or "you can't possibly believe this shit TV".  But that's another blog entirely.

As the rain falls in sheets outside my window I crave the sultry sounds of such artists as Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone, and Paloma Faith.  Their voices spill over me like warm caramel on cold ice cream.  Winehouse's duet "Body and Soul" done with Tony Bennett is fantastic and an all-time favorite.  I almost wish Bennett wouldn't sing so much so I could listen to Winehouse's smokey sounds.  Faith's "Let Your Love Walk In" is another good one.  Though her voice is still young and has yet to reach the truly dark, sultry tones of her contemporaries, she is on the right path.  Now, Joss Stone brings to mind the soul music of the 60's and 70's, and her voice just oozes sex.  But no one can beat Adele with her vocalization that bends and cracks around her songs, the words that flow together and meld into such an erotic sound.  Her "Skyfall" brings goosebumps to my skin and makes my senses hunger for more.  These women, so young, yet their voices so mature, so sizzling, so torrid.  Yes, it's a nice way to spend a rainy Tuesday afternoon.

No comments: