Wednesday, April 10, 2013

 
I had stopped drinking Chardonnay for  quite awhile; got sick of the oaky aftertaste, the overwhelming melon, and the pungent vanilla.  It grew boring, and soon every bottle tasted the same.  So I moved to other wines....

Yes, I'm on a diet but I can put these calories in my app and cut them somewhere else; I want a glass of wine.  But not in the mood for a dry red I decided to open a bottle that was given to us by a friend.  At first I cringed....it was a chardonnay.  But something on the label caught my eye...unoaked.  So I'm trying this Steelbird and I must say it is really quite nice.

First of all the color is a soft lemon yellow hinting of the citrus to come.  The nose is full of green apple and lemon with a subtle hint of green, like mint.  A crisp full-bodied wine with a surprisingly short finish, it's one downfall.  I would prefer the flavor to linger a bit longer, but having such a short finish makes you want to take another sip, possibly drink the bottle quicker.  As for the price, I have no idea what it costs but I imagine it's between $8 and $12.  It's a great wine.

I think I'll make scallops and pasta for dinner.  This would go beautifully with the flavors here.   Mmmmm, yes I look forward to dinner!

1 comment:

Nance said...

My husband and I are huge oaked Chard fans. But in the summer, we like to switch to an unoaked or lightly oaked Chard for a fruitier, tropical wine. Off-dry reislings are nice for that same taste profile. So are sauvignon blancs, which would be lovely with your scallops and pasta.

I'll never be able to give up our big, buttery, oaky Chardonnays. But, like you, I sometimes need something lighter. Just don't try to give me that watery pinot grigio. Might as well drink nothing.